Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Day I met my Son

At my last doctors appointment at 40 weeks my doctor decided to go ahead and induce me since my blood pressure was high. My due date was October 19th and was going to be induced that day. I was told to be at the hospital at 6 am, so I got up at 5 am and started getting ready. At 5:45 am we got a call from the hospital saying they were full and I would need to call back at 10 to see if any beds were open. At 10 I called and still no beds so they told me to call at 12. When I called at 12 they told me to be there at 2 pm. I was so upset. I just wanted my baby here!! SO we got there at 2 and we had to wait. All the beds were still taken. So there I was HUGE and ready and had to stand in the hallway waiting for things to start. While waiting I was getting texts left and right asking what was going on. Finally we were called and taken to a room. I was put in a gown and then waited and waited and waited! I thought they have forgotten about me until finally almost an hour later a nurse walked in to get me set up. By the time they got in there and hooked me up to the IV and asked the doctor what she wanted to do it was 5 pm and the doctor didn't want to really start anything till the next morning. Again I was so upset. It was not my fault they were taking forever and it was not my fault I had to come in late but yet I had to wait over night with no food and no drink. Even though I did sneak some crackers cause I was starting to shake and feel sick!

With the smallest amount of pitocin I started getting a lot of contraction and they were all pretty painful. At 11:47 pm my water broke on it's own and the real labor began. I was in so much pain and the contractions were so close together.
Around 4 am the nurse came in cause the babies heart rate kept dropping and so she wanted to check me and put me on oxygen. Then nurse was checking me and was like well there's the reason...and I was so worried something was wrong and she said you are 7 cm. In 3 hours I went from 4 cm to 7 and that is the reason the babies heart rate was dropping, I was moving fast.
So I called my sister and mom who came from Louisville late that night and were staying at our apartment. Since I asked my sister to be in the room I had to makes sure she was there for the big show. They both arrived at 5 with breakfast for Marcus. From that point on things were moving really fast. My epidural was starting to wear off and the pressure was unbelievable. I knew it was time. At 8 am I was ready to start pushing.
After 3.5 hours of pushing Lucas arrived! Marcus was sooo emotional and it was so cute! I didn't expect him to react the way he did! Lucas was amazing.
They put him on my chest and feeling him skin on skin was the best feeling in the world. The nurse was really concerned because he wasn't crying so they took him away to monitor him and give him oxygen.
His breathing still wasn't what they wanted and he was a little pale so they took him to the nursery to look over him and make sure he was ok. After 6 hours in the nursery he was completely fine! He just doesn't cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment